September 10, 2012

I Use The 85/15 Rule for Healthy Eating


Okay, I admit I love food. I love all kinds of food. but since I decided to become more health-conscious I have to be careful because a lot of the foods I like are not healthy. So how do I justify my (sometimes uncontrollable) desire to eat something delicious that may not be “good for me” and at the same time remain true to myself in eating healthy and maintaining a healthy lifestyle? 
Well my nutritionist and my fitness trainer both speak about the 85/15 rule of eating. It goes like this. Eat  clean energy boosting foods 85 percent of the time, you know, the healthy stuff. Then, the other 15 percent of the time eat for social reasons, going out to dinner with friends, and parties. But to keep it  real, we eat because we want to, because it tastes good or because we are at a social event.
As a society if we can learn to eat only healthy foods during the “85 percent times” i believe we would solve our obesity problem and we'd still be able to have occasional treats. If we choose items that will provide us with good nutrition and energy 85 percent of the time, then the other 15 percent of the time we can have the "Fun Foods"
I have adopted this rule and the weight continues to come off. 
Here are a few of my "Fun Foods"
Lite & Fluffy Banana Cream Pie Cups

5 Cheese Mac & Cheese Casserole 

Smoked Turkey & Cream Cheese Pinwheels
Baked Corndog Muffins includes chopped red chillies, cheddar,
jalapeno, and turkey sausage

No comments:

Post a Comment